UNIT STANDARD OUTCOMES
ON COMPLETION OF THIS UNIT STANDARD, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO:
1. Identify and describe relevant stakeholder and role players in a municipal environment;
2. Select and apply a range of appropriate negotiation and communication techniques and methods;
3. Assess own application of communication techniques and methods and draw up a plan of action for self-development;
4. Evaluate the communication process and make recommendations for improved interaction.
UNIT STANDARD PURPOSE
This unit standard is intended for people who are, or seek to be, employed at middle to senior level in a municipality. It provides learners with the competence to communicate, consult and negotiate with stakeholders over matters relating to municipal finance.
US 116 348
NQF Level: 6
- Lectures 17
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 2 day
- Language English
- Students 41
- Certificate No
- Assessments Yes
ASSESSMENT GUIDE AND PORTFOLIO OF EVIDENCE
UNIT 1: INTRODUCTION
UNIT 2: STAKEHOLDERS IN THE MUNICIPAL ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 THE DIFFERENT CATEGORIES OF STAKEHOLDERS
- 3.2 THE DIFFERENT FORMS OF ‘RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT’
- 3.3 THE PURPOSE OF STAKEHOLDER CONSULTATION
- 3.4 THE BENEFITS ARISING FROM STAKEHOLDER CONSULTATION
- 3.5 IDENTIFYING STAKEHOLDERS THROUGH STAKEHOLDER ANALYSIS & 3.6 CLASSIFICATION OF STAKEHOLDERS
- 3.7 THE DIFFERING NEEDS OF STAKEHOLDERS & 3.8. THE TIMING OF STAKEHOLDER ANALYSIS
- 3.10 THE PROFILING THE VARIOUS STAKEHOLDERS & 3.11. COMPILING A LIST OF STAKEHOLDERS AND ROLE-PLAYERS
UNIT 3: NEGOTIATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNIQUES AND METHODS
This chapter outlines the three forms of engagement that will generally be necessary for a municipality to adequately manage its relationships with different types of stakeholders. These are (a) consultation; (b) negotiation; and (c) communication. The three forms of engagement may be applied alongside each other or separately, depending upon the needs of municipality and its relationship with its stakeholders.
UNIT 4: IMPROVING PERSONAL NEGOTIATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNIQUES AND MEHTODS
This chapter deals with using the results of a communication or a negotiation process to assess one’s own personal effectiveness. Some detailed specific suggestions are provided for assessing personal effectiveness, as well as making improvements to one’s personal communications and negotiations techniques.
UNIT 5: EVALUATING AND IMPROVING MUNICIPAL NEGOTIATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNIQUES AND MEHTODS
The purpose of this chapter is to discuss some tools which could be used for assessing the effectiveness of the municipal stakeholder relationship management process, again with a view to ensuring further development and improvements of municipal stakeholder management. Unlike Chapter 4 the emphasis is on municipal rather than personal effectiveness.