Unit standard 116361
UNIT STANDARD OUTCOMES
On completion of this unit standard, a learner should be able to identify, interpret and apply the following in his or her own words:
- the techniques of sound financial management in local government;
- the key elements in the structure of public-policy making in South Africa, their connections and power relations between them;
- the elements of initiatives taken through various pieces of legislation to promote sound financial management in local government;
- the environment in which policy-making takes place with particular emphasis on factors which significantly impinge on policy-making; and
- the principles of good governance and ethical behaviour within a municipal setting.
UNIT STANDARD PURPOSE
- This unit standard is intended for political executives, municipal managers and strategic executive managers in South African local government. This unit standard contributes to the development of policy analysis and the reviewing of skills amongst political executives, strategic executive managers and other role players contributing to the development of relevant legislation as well as policy affecting municipal financial management. It is in this context that this study intends to provide details of South African legislation and policy affecting municipal financial management. This unit standard will provide a clear indication of the wide range of techniques of sound framework management in local government.
- It is also a specific objective of this discourse to situate an understanding of the municipal officials and executives within a broader gamut of different models of constitutional forms, structures and organs of national government. Specific legislative instruments responsible for the promotion of sound financial management in local government, factors influencing policy-making environment and basic values of good governance and ethical behaviour will also be articulated. As a consequence, this unit standard will add value and enhance competence of municipal officials who are determined to cultivate a culture of good governance in the public sector.
- Qualification : Certificate in Municipal Finance Management
- Credits : 8
- NQF level : 6
- Type : Elective
- Duration : 3 days
Extensive coverage of legislative mandate of local authorities, with excellent case studies and videos. Deon has extensive experience in local authorities and his practical knowledge adds value.
John du Toit
Energetic trainer focusing on practical examples and case studies.
Insightful and practical. You need this course before committing to local authorities.
- Lectures 18
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 4 week
- Language English
- Students 59
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes
Techniques of Sound Financial Management in Local Government
Key Elements in the Structure of Public- Policy Making in South Africa
Initiatives Taken Through Pieces of Legislation Intended to Promote Sound Financial Management in Local Government
Factors Impinging on Policy-Making Environment
Unit 5 : Policy Governance and Ethical Behaviour within a Municipal Environment
The aim of this study unit is to introduce learners to the principles of good governance and behaviour within a municipal environment.