Municipal budget process
UNIT STANDARD OUTCOMES
ON COMPLETION OF THIS UNIT STANDARD, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO:
- Advise on the application of the South African local government legislative framework for local government budgeting processes.
- Advise on the timing of budget related events and the integration of budget related processes with budget processes to ensure compliance with the legislative requirements.
- Ensure legal requirements that non-budget documentation is correctly referenced in budget documentation is complied with and vice versa.
- Advise on the roles and responsibilities of financial and non-financial management and political executives in the budget process, which should contribute to the overall process of social and economic development.
UNIT STANDARD PURPOSE
- This Unit Standard is intended for practitioners in local government who are involved in policy decision-making and strategic planning. Learners who are required to advise on the legislative mandate of municipalities from a provincial and national government perspective will also benefit from this Unit Standard.
- The Unit Standard will contribute to social and economic transformation by equipping practitioners with skills in budgeting which could translate into better use of resources and improved delivery services. That is, the unit standard will contribute to understanding the vital role that local government plays in delivering basic services.
- The scope of this unit standard covers the budget and reporting cycle in a municipality and in municipal entities. This unit standard provides considerable detail regarding the additional requirements where municipalities use municipal entities to deliver services.
UNIT STANDARD CONTENT
- Introduction to municipal budget and reporting cycle in South Africa
- Components of the budget and reporting cycle
- Roles and responsibilities in terms of the municipal budget and reporting cycle
- Municipal finance management calendar
- Qualification : Certificate in Municipal Finance Management
- Unit Standard : Plan a municipal budgeting and reporting cycle
- Credits : 8
- NQF level : 6
- Lectures 8
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 52 week
- Language English
- Students 57
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes
Unit 1 : Introduction to municipal budgeting and reporting cycle in South Africa
Unit 2 : Components of the budget and reporting cycle
Unit 3 : Roles and responsibilities in terms of the municipal budget and reporting cycle
Unit 4 : Municipal finance management calendar