The right to privacy includes the right to protection against the unlawful collection, retention, dissemination and use of personal information. The Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), 4 of 2013. POPIA aims to regulate, in harmony with international standards, the processing of personal information by public and private bodies in a manner that gives effect to the right to privacy subject to justifiable limitations that are aimed at protecting other rights and important interests. Public and private bodies have until 1 July 2021 to implement the Act.
Session 2: Conditions for processing of personal information
• Conditions for lawful processing of personal information
• Processing of special personal information
• Responsibilities of an information officer
Session 3: POPIA in practice
• Role of the Information Regulator
• How to ensure compliance in your organisation
• Implementation process
To gain and understanding of the scope of POPIA. To understand how POPIA should be applied in your rganisation, including developing and updating policies and practices to ensure effective protection of personal information.